When you look outside your window in Christchurch, you know exploration awaits you--hiking, fishing, kayaking, or swimming. That's just a typical day here. Enjoy the adventurous, yet relaxed, lifestyle that Christchurch has to offer.
During your time in Christchurch, you directly enroll in the University of Canterbury, one of the top three universities in New Zealand. You also have access to more than 50 academic departments and more than 90 on-campus clubs and organizations--ideal opportunities to connect with Kiwi (local) students.
Spread over 87 hectares of beautifully landscaped grounds and gardens, the University's campus is located only 15 minutes from the city. Ski slopes, mountains, native bush, rivers, lakes, hot springs, and beaches are all within 1.5 hours of Christchurch, making this an ideal place to study and experience New Zealand's outdoor lifestyle.
Visit www.IESabroad.org for complete program details.
Are you ready for the adventure of a lifetime? Pack your bags and head to Christchurch! Tucked in between the mountains and the Pacific Ocean, Christchurch is known for its beautiful gardens (its nickname is the Garden City), rich European culture, and high quality of living. Need to clear your head? Travel to the Southern Alps for a challenging hike that will make you feel like you're on top of the clouds.
We strive to make sure you feel safe, cared for, and at home while you’re away from home. Whether it’s the orientation program that makes you feel prepared, your housing that is well-located and comfortable, the cultural events that make it easy and fun to meet other international and local students, or the field trips and walking tours that take you to places tourists don’t usually see—we’re all about our student service. Learn more about the day-to-day studying abroad on this program. From field trips to housing, it’s all on IES Abroad’s website.
Scholarships & Aid
IES Abroad firmly believes that financial limitations should not prevent a qualified student from participating in an IES Abroad program. That's why we commit $5 million in study abroad scholarships and aid, all offered through one quick and easy application. Check out all of our scholarship options at www.IESabroad.org/aid.
Aid Application Deadlines:
Summer – April 1
Fall/Academic Year – May 1
Spring/Calendar Year – November 1
The IES Abroad Difference
We can say that our academic standards are completely unmatched, our partnerships with more than 500 global universities and colleges speak to the quality of our programs, and our health and safety practices have set the standards for the entire field of study abroad. And all of that would be true…. But what really sets us apart is our commitment to you. As a not-for-profit study abroad and internship provider, you are our bottom line. Your success is our success. And in today’s world, that’s a pretty extraordinary thing.
- 135+ Award-Winning Study Abroad and Internship Programs
- 33 Global Locations
- Advising & Student Support from predeparture to after you return home
- Strong Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
- $5+ Million in Aid and Scholarships
- Passionate, Mission-Focused Staff and Faculty from our headquarters in Chicago to our Centers around the world
- 70 Years of Experience
About IES Abroad
Founded in 1950, IES Abroad is a not-for-profit academic consortium of more than 260 top-tier American colleges and universities, with more than 240 additional partner universities worldwide. IES Abroad provides premier study abroad and internship programs around the world through IES Abroad, IES Internships, IES Abroad Customized & Faculty-Led Programs, and The Study Abroad Foundation. With more than 400 study abroad programs in 85 locations worldwide, the organization creates authentic global education opportunities for thousands of students annually. IES Abroad has nearly 140,000 alumni who have benefited from studying in IES Abroad programs since its inception. Discover more about what we offer with all of our programs.
See Our Catalogs
Email an Advisor
Contact a Past Participant
Call us at 800.995.2300
TCU Approved Programs
Credit returns as TCU credit that applies towards the TCU GPA and counts towards a student’s major, minor, core, or elective credit hours. As part of their application, students must have their courses pre-approved on the TCU Credit Approval Form.
Students can typically find classes to satisfy major and minor elective credits; general electives; upper-division hours; and much of the TCU Core Curriculum, including FAR, HUM, SSC, HT, LT and RT. Semester students can also earn CA. It is harder to satisfy specific equivalencies for the major or minor and difficult to find NSC, MTH, OCO, and WCO. Students cannot receive CSV, GA, and WEM on these programs.
While abroad, students remain currently-enrolled, degree seeking students at TCU. Semester students enroll full-time in 12 – 18 credits. Summer students typically enroll in 3 or 6 credit hours.
TCU bills tuition and program fees for all TCU-Approved Programs to the TCU Student Account. However, students may need to pay CIEE, IES, or SIT directly for other incidental charges such as housing deposits, confirmation fees, textbooks or optional field trips.
- Non-Refundable Enrollment Fee: Variable. Paid directly to CIEE, IES, or SIT to reserve your space in the program.
- TCU Tuition: Semester students pay TCU block tuition. Summer students pay TCU tuition per credit hour. For current tuition rates, visit Costs & Refunds.
- Program Fee: Includes CIEE, IES, or SIT housing and insurance fees. It may or may not include meals or other items. Consult the program-specific on the CIEE, IES, or SIT website for program fee breakdowns and exact fees.
- Additional Expenses: For airfare, visa fees, meals, books, personal spending money and other outside expenses not included in the program fee. Individual budgets are highly variable.
How to Apply
- Good academic and disciplinary standing at TCU
- Minimum 2.8 GPA for semester programs, although some programs require higher GPAs
- At least two semesters at TCU by the start of the program
- Any additional requirements listed on the CIEE, IES, or SIT websites
- Click the "Complete Forms" button above to begin your Global TCU application. To continue working on an existing application, log onto www.global.tcu.edu and select the program from the homepage.
- Complete the Program-Specific Application found on the CIEE, IES or SIT website.
- Submit the Credit Approval Form to Reed 214. You can find the form on our How to Apply page.